Wednesday, October 16, 2024

"(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone"

Recently, I listened to Paul Revere & the Raiders' Greatest Hits.  Yester-day, I was looking into their version of "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone"*, and I noticed something that's also true of the Monkees' version (which was actually recorded after the Raiders' version).  The vocal part moves to a higher register halfway through the verses (basically the same melody, just up an octave), and so in the first verse, this corresponds to the "high" in the line "You're readin' all them high-fashioned magazines," although the lyric uses "high" a bit more metaphorically.

---
*It's included as a bonus track on the CD re-issue.  The guitar phrases in the introduction, which aren't included in the Monkees' version, bear a strong resemblance to the first few phrases of the guitar solo in the Beatles' "I Feel Fine."